Monday, June 21, 2010

Introduction!

I have been sort of India obsessed for a while now, and I started trying to teach myself Hindi about a year and a half ago. Then I learned about this great scholarship program funded by the U.S. government! They really want high school students to learn lesser known languages and become more aware of other cultures,so they started this program that allows students to learn a bunch of cool languages in many different countries. Luckily they offered a scholarship to learn Hindi in India! After months of torture and essays and an interview and tons of paperwork I found out that I won the scholarship, which was very, very exciting!

So tomorrow I am getting in the car with my famliy and driving to Queens, where the other people going on the trip and I will be having a two day orientation. Then we fly to Delhi on Friday! We will be there for 6 weeks staying with host families, going to school to learn Hindi, and exploring and learning about India. I am pretty excited and nervous- not only am I going to India, it will also be my first trip out of the country! I am looking forward to experiencing many new things, and hopefully I will be able to update this thing somewhat regularly :)

Namaste aur Shubh Ratri! (goodbye and goodnight!)

2 comments: